Re: Webers

To: sol <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Webers
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 1994 22:57:31 -0500 (EST)
Don said:
> Moss and TRF sell new complete Weber conversion setups for TRs.  I think they
> are between $700 and $750 for the dual down drafts.  Can't comment on the
> performance, although I have heard if a Weber isn't set up properly they are
> worse than the stock ZSs.

VERY TRUE! Let me expand on that, and go a bit beyond the carb. On *major*
part of "setting up" a carb is making sure the air/fuel mixture has a clean,
easy path to every cylinder. The theories and practices of making a good
intake manifold would fill a book (or two). But the one golden rule is NEVER
have an uphill run. The weber manifolds for the Spit/Midget 1500 are uphill
for their entire run. These things are terrible. The adapters used on
the TR6 are worse. They have one run that is straight up.

Having had the unfortunate job of trying to tame five of these conversions
(3 TR6, a Z-car, and a M-Bz), I can comment on the performance. It's bad.
Cold natured as hell, fuel hungry, and, due to the fuel puddling, very
prone to flooding during cornering.

> As far as Hollie goes, if you really mean Holley, no go.  I looked into a dual
> Holley setup fot my '74 TR6.  The smallest progressive 2 barrel is 350 CFM.  I
> even spoke to the Holley tech support people.  I was disapointed, I have
> aftermarket Holleys on both of my other cars.  More info on Webers would be
> nice...

Holley makes a virtual clone of the Weber DGV. This may in fact be that carb.
I've heard that Holley rated their 2 barrels at a 3" depression rather than
the more universally used 1.5". A stock DGV I've been told is at 225 cfm.
Flow rate gain is not linear with depression increase.

As a point of reference, Vizard lists (at 1.5") the flow of an SU HS6 at
210cfm and a HIF6 and 240cfm. I would imagine the CD175 is in this range.

> Don

      Randy