Re: Generator vs. Alternator

To: Stan Fickes <fickes@taurus.apple.com>
Subject: Re: Generator vs. Alternator
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 1994 14:32:11 -31802 (PST)
Stan,
        Concerning the troubles you're having with your battery being
flat, I offer the experience I've had with generators.
        On my spitty, before I installed the six, I had a generator for
quite some time.  It seemed that I'd have to replace/rebuild the unit
every three years or so, but the car started every morning, (and
evening).  After about the third generator went out I said, "next time,
I'm going to find out how to put an alternator in this thing".
        I did just that a few years ago.  I installed a Lucas 80? amp
unit from a late '80's XJ-S, and it has worked fine ever since.
        I really don't have anything bad to say about generators; I bet
the problems with the ones I had were due to poor quality rebuilds of
less than perfect cores.
        I would even venture a guess that if your regulator is good, and
your charge light is not coming on, that you may have a poor connection
on your main power lead, or your earth lead is loose.  Check also the
condition of the Lucar connectors that connect to the back of the generator.

Good luck
                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6