Re: frozen SUs

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: frozen SUs
From: Wily1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 1994 09:52:20 -0500
Chris Amley writes >

>Vern K wrote about the pistons in his SUs freezing in place overnight,
>necessitating a thaw-out in the morning.
>
>The question: what's freezing comes to mind.  Must be water.  Why is there
>water in the dashpot?  Must be condensing.  Getting rid of the water would
>probably stop the freezing, so my idea: take the dashpots off, clean them,
and
>then spray the inside parts with a light water-repellant lubricant...some
sort
>of silicone stuff would probably do, and then reassemble.

**snip**

The gentleman who sold me my first set of SUs (w/Sprite attached, OC) must
have told me 9 times to make sure I cleaned the daspots and pistons
w/Brakleen every time I had the chance. His logic was that any oil would trap
dirt, which would lead to premature wear and sticky pistons. I guess it
depends on the efficiency of your filters. As always, YMMV.

Ernest Davis <wily1@aol.com> 12/01/94, 09:26