No Oil Pressure

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: No Oil Pressure
From: Wmccull@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 1994 18:42:06 -0500
I've just completed rebuilding my '61 MGA Mk II engine.  I installed,
among many other items, a new oil pump.  I am getting ready to fire it up
and I cannot get any oil to circulate to and through the oil pressure
gauge pipe when I crank the engine over.  I've removed the spark plugs
and cranked the engine over with the starter for up to a minute and I
still have not gotten any oil to circulate.  I removed the oil pressure
line and it was not clogged.

I installed an new oil pressure relief valve when I rebuilt the engine,
thoroughly cleaned all the oil galley passages, and installed new plugs
in the oil galley holes.

I can't imagine what I might have missed.  Do I have to prime the oil
pump somehow?  Or should I not expect oil to circulate in the oil galley
passages until I fire it up? (I was told to make sure I had oil
circulation before firing the engine).

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!