spring lubrication

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: spring lubrication
From: WB6AGE@aol.com
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 1994 14:20:02 -0400
> Some time last week, during the discussion of oiling leaf springs, someone
> posted a remark concerning a product (used for motorcycles?) that contained

> a heavier oil dissolved in a volatile solvent, all in an aerosol.  The idea

> being that the aerosol delivers the mixture, the solvent evaporates and the

> heavy oil stays behind to do its lubrication job on some hard to get to
> surface.  Does someone out there know the brand name of this product so I
> can appear intelligent at my local auto supply store

Having the exciting experience of rebuilding my Land Rover 88 springs after
many years of occasionally oiling them with WD40, I found a large amount of
 grit had accumulated in the spring pack which had turned into an oily goo
and caused the spring surfaces to grind together, lot's of wear.

The solution was to clean all the spring leaves with a wire wheel and give
them all a coat of Dry Film Lubricant.  The one I used was Dow Corning 321,
available from most industrial type hardware stores.  It dries completly and
leaves behind a layer of moly.  After the spring pack was reassembled, I gave
it a final coat of flat black paint for looks.  The squeeks went away, and
they don't collect dirt.  Recent disassembly shows no additional wear and no
gritty oily goo.

Bob,  WB6AGE@aol.com