Re: Land Rover queries

To: cucc4@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Land Rover queries
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 94 12:22:03 -0700
In message <199410281636.AA29653@ecom2.ecn.bgu.edu> Christopher Cougill writes:

>        I am just curious -- really, how reliable are they?

Well figure 2 axles, 2 drive shafts, an extra 2 speed transmission (transfer
case) behind the 4 speed transmission. A Land Rover has almost twice the drive
train to maintan as a TR6 or MG.  By definition there is more maintenence.
Also, most see much harder service, so there may be more PO damage, and you will
probably use it harder than you would anything else.  This does add up to more
maintnenece.  A land Rover has 6 seperate 90 wt resavours to leak oil plus the
engine.  This adds up to more time checking fluids.  Parts cost is closer to a
Jag than a TR or MG.  If you drive a Land Rover you spend more time on the care
& feeding because there is more drive train to care for and everyone uses them
harder than street cars, even in parking lots (what barriers?)  A well
maintained Land Rover with parts that are not worn out is a very dependable car.
They get into trouble because people often do not maintain them and many are
sold with lots of hard ware.

>       And, perhaps most importantly, is even a glimmer of a chance that
> somebody might trade a nice one for my TR6 (yeah, *very* rusty but solid
> frame and drive train: 77000 miles, fiberglass hardtop) and B GT

I have recently been around a number of Land Rovers being offered for sale. Nice
ones seem to be asking about 8-10K these days with really nice ones going up &
more worn ones going down in price.  It seems like if it runs, and all the
pannels are not dented and the parts are mostly there & not bodged too much they
seem to be getting at least $3K.  The above is in the US.  Prices are cheaper in
Canada & you can import a right hand drive pre-1968 LR from the UK in very good
condition for cheaper than many people are asking for good condition US LRs.

It seems US prices have gone up about 40% since the Defender 90 came back to the
US.

> PS -- Anybody know anything about that place in Canada that advertised
> ex-British Army Landy's (gas motor, LHD, etc...) a year or two back?  I
> saw an ad in Hemmings.  Seems to me they were 1980's models or so.
> Around two or three grand apiece, maybe?  Thanks again...

LRs in Canada generally go for a cheaper price but beware, many have extensive
rust in the frame from the road salting.  If you wish to bring a LR into the US,
it needs to be ether a pre-1968 almost anything, or a US spec model.  109s were
imported through 1967, and 88s were imported through 1974.  I think that most of
the ex-British LRs in Canada has long since been sold out.

TeriAnn Wakeman        Large format photographers look at the world
twakeman@apple.com     upside down and backwards
LINK: TWAKEMAN
408-974-2344                         TR3A - TS75519L,
                       MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, Land Rover 109 - 164000561