re: DOT 5

To: MEBOE@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu, BRITISH-CARS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: re: DOT 5
From: Colin Brace <BRACEC@A1.MGH.HARVARD.EDU>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 1994 09:53:00 -0500 (EST)
          Have used DOT 5 Silicone in my 1974 MGB since I got it in May,
          1984. The only component I replaced at the time were the rear wheel
          cylinders. Over the years I've replaced just about everything in
          the brake system, primarily due to the fact they were 15 + years
          old. The only failure I had was a gradual wearing of the master
          cylinder, again decades old and >100,000 miles. All my nipples are
          still free (sorry, I couldn't find a more delicate way to phrase
          that, but we ARE adults, aren't we?). The car is used 3,000 to
          5,000 miles a year, including driving all over New England & also
          autocrossing. The big reason is that I didn't want the hassle of
          changing brake fluid every year. Pedal feel? Seems fine to me, nice
          and firm (insert previous paran here)  especially autocrossing,
          where I don't just put around (comments like "gee, I've never seen
          anyone throw an MGB around like THAT!"). BTW, there are only two
          actual manufacturers of DOT5, I believe, Dow & somebody else whos
          name escapes me. I buy it by the gallon from an ad in Hemmings for
          about $38.00. Far cheaper than by the quart.

          I also started using Castrol Syntec synthetic motor oil after last
          winters rebuild, the only place there is a leak is where I
          improperly installed the front seal. And, either I did a REAL good
          job, or something else, but this motor doesn't burn oil between
          changed (2,000 mile intervals). With no overdrive & a good measure
          of highway driving & the gearing is also reduced by 195/60x14
          tires.

          My $0.02, hope this is of some help.

          Colin

          bracec@a1.mgh.harvard.edu