Re: press. diff. valve

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: press. diff. valve
From: mburdick@unmc.edu (Mike Burdick)
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 94 14:24:32 CDT
I thought it was worth reposting the following without the funky
header and control characters.

Enjoy,
Mike
mburdick@unmc.edu

____________________________

Date: 24 Oct 94 14:06:04 EDT
From: "Dana P. Henry-TRF" <70471.1433@compuserve.com>
To: <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: press. diff. valve

   I am writing in response to Kevib Strait's comments about the
pressure differential valve on the TR6.  The original manufacturer of
this valve has not offered the part for a good many years.  We were
delighted to have come across this part listed by one of our English
suppliers.  The part was offered under the original part number and
although it was expensive, we were glad to be able to offer the part
again.

   At some point the stock of valves must have run out because the
valves that we began getting were like the one discussed by Mr.  Strait.
We are not happy with the product and have frozen all stocks and will
return them to the English vendor.  The status of that part has been
changed to NLS (no longer available).

   The reason for the smaller and larger fittings is to ensure that the
front brake pipes get bolted to one end of the valve, and the pipes for
the rear are attached to the other side.  The valve is centered when the
entire brake system is operating correctly.  When a failure occurs on
half of the system, the plungers shifts triggering the switch that
activates the warning light on the dash.  The bolt on one end or the
other appears to be there only to provide access to the plunger and
seals.  The valve is not a proportionaing device, but is only a fluid
pressure monitering device to detect changes in the system.

   We have been working on a solution in the meantime.  There is a
rebuild kit that will work on some of the valves found on these cars.
The part number is LDSSB833.  Price is $4.50.  At the moment we have
stock on the shelf at TRF.  The kit includes two different sets of
o)rings to replace the o)rings fitted to two different types of plungers
found inside the differential valve.  Both o*rings have a round wall
configuration.  There is, from what we have discovered so far, a third
type of plunger that has a seal similar to what is found in a master
cylinder No rebuild kit is available for this type at this time.  We are
working with the original manufacturer to solve this problem.  From the
outside, it is not possible to tell which type of o)ring will be found
inside.  As more develops on this subject we will discuss it over the
bulletin board.  In the meantime, those of you who find round profile
o*rings in your differential valves can likely rebuild them using the
LDSSB833 kit available at TRF.

John Swauger, TRF