WARNING TRF Bodge / MGB Ign lite

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: WARNING TRF Bodge / MGB Ign lite
From: The Law Book Store <thelaw@aloha.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 1994 07:05:37 -1000 (HST)
I havn't figured out why the brits put those damn brake warning switches
in. After your brakes fail you are supposed to believe a lucas electrical
warning lite will save you from eminant doom?? GIVE ME A BRAKE!

Nigel has eaten about six of those little plastic warning switches. Every
time I roust about a recycler I pick up the plastic inserts and a month
or two later they leak, the brakes go soft and the light doesn't come on.

OK, if you need the brass body call Scott Harper at Team Triumph 216-392-7176
he recycles TR's. If the problem is the switch, pull out the old one get
a bolt and some plumbers' teflon tape and plug it. At least you won't
crash and die waiting for your light to come on because all your fluid
leaked out.

As for the little red warning light... it's a warning!

The early generator cars didn't have very sophisticated electric and wewe
dangerous! My son's TR-4 melted the amp gauge and the regulator in about
three seconds and damn near set the car on fire. When we replaced the
wiring we:

        THIS IS IMPORTANT>>>

                We added a flat 40 amp fuse in the
                line (large Brown wire) between
                the generator and the regulator.
                I believe it was the "F" terminal.

The reason we chose a flat fuse is because it comes with two male spades.
So instead of connecting the wire directly to the regulator we inserted
one fuse spade. then we made a two female spade jumper to go from the
regulator to the fuse. Alas we can quickly pull the fuse if we want to
sell it to a purist. and we both feel safer knowing that the fuse will
blow before the car catches fire.

I do so hope that this keeps you safely roading.
    Paul Swengler                        Providing Hawaii's Legal Community
    The Law Book Store              with quality legal materials since 1990
    Voice: 808-422-6322         New & Used Books, Anatomical Models, CD-Rom