Oil

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil
From: BruceM1421@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 1994 15:57:33 -0400
I have a few motor-oil questions I would like some help with.

I understand that with the use of heavier weight motor oils the oil pressure
reading is increased but does this really mean the engine is being lubricated
better?  Is this in any way a measure of how well oil is being circulated?
 Is it possible that lighter oils actually circulate better even though the
oil pressure is lower?

I have an early MG TD and I'm thinking of using a synthetic oil (probably
Mobil 1).  Is there any reason I should not do this?  Should I stick to the
regular formulated oils?

And finally I'm thinking of using Mobil 's 15-50 weight oil.  Am I asking for
trouble using an oil this heavy?

I guess I should point out I'm using a 10-30 weight now and my oil pressure
reads about 38 to 40 after lbs. after it is fully warmed up.

Any and all opinions and help are welcome.

Bruce Madio