Polarity change

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Polarity change
From: fickes@taurus.apple.com (Stan Fickes)
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 1994 09:52:58 -0800
Sandro asked:
>You mean the 'big polarity change' on my '66 Midget that I've been dreading
>is going to be as simple as:
>
>- reversing the battery leads
>- repolarizing the generator
>
>This sounds way too simple. There has to be something else.
>
>Having never examined my tach, is it easy to tell the difference between
>the electronic and mechanical(?) ones?

My '65 Sprite, which has an SU fuel pump (some aftermarkets are polarized)
and is basically stock, could be switched by doing exactly that, plus the
tach polarity switch.  Instructions for repolarizing the generator are the
same as polarizing a new generator, which I don't recall offhand.  Check
your manual, or your local LBC parts place.  Changing the polarity of the
electronic tach is also simple, but requires disassembly.  I remember
having to move/resolder one wire inside, and then reverse the direction of
the pickup loop outside.  You can tell an electronic tach because it
doesn't have a large "speedometer cable" going out the back to the
generator.  A stock '66 has an electronic tach.  The Bugeye should have a
mechanical tach.

I have so far avoided a polarity change by using a "boom box" as my car
stereo.  When I get out, the radio fits nicely in the boot, or I can always
carry it on my shoulder!  sf

Stan Fickes                             British Cars
Wireless Communication Technologies     1951 MGTD
Advanced Technology Group               1965 Austin-Healey Sprite
Apple Computer, Inc.
408 974-7653