VO TEC Bodywork

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: VO TEC Bodywork
From: Mike Duvall <duvall@eagle.sangamon.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 1994 10:18:11 -0700 (CDT)
Someone posted a question about a vocational-technical school doing
their body work and what kind of work could you anticipate. I have my
MGA at the local vo-tech school right now. I also taught for several
years at the same school. My experience has taught me that your results
depend largely on how good the instructor is at his trade. If they have
someone who ran a body shop professionally and is a good teacher, then
you would probably get quality work. On the other hand, if the
instructor is someone who teaches autobody because his business failed
or they moved someone from some allied field because of enrollment
problems then watch out! I would ask important questions about what kind
of materials they would use and so on. Do they have a new paint booth? I
put my car in their hads because of the experience of the instructor. He
also asked me what I was going to do with the car. He wanted to use it
as an example of how to do it right. Too many kids want to work on their
own cars and don't have the money. He takes cars in, not to just slap
plastic and paint on, but to give the students a real background in the
process.

good luck!