Leaf Springs

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Leaf Springs
From: radsickt@lablink.ple.af.mil
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 94 17:21:01 PDT
Forgive me if this has already been posted, but I didn't see it so....

Someone mentioned that rear leaf springs are designed to take loads of up to
thousands of pounds therefore a little rust won't affect the ride much.
Certainly the springs carry a tremendous load but they also reach an
equilibrium.  You can test for this equilibrium by staring at your car for
several days.  If the ride height doesn't change, your car is at equilibrium.
(Remember, you heard it here first!)  Now, go get a cinder block, old car
battery, etc and set it in the trunk.  Quickly stare at the car.  Note change in
ride height.  Note new equilibrium.  Weight cinder block, battery, or whatever.
Note how small loads to the spring affect the spring displacement.  That's why
leaf springs should be oiled.  Ride comfort is affected by how the car reacts to
small loads as well as large ones.

-Tim Radsick, feeling guilty because my pile-o'-GT6-parts looks exactly as it
did 4 months ago.