Re: Oiling leaf springs (cont'd.)

To: Stan Fickes <fickes@taurus.apple.com>
Subject: Re: Oiling leaf springs (cont'd.)
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 1994 16:10:32 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 18 Oct 1994, Stan Fickes wrote:

> IMPORTANT NOTE:  Do not use silicone grease on suspension bushings (they're
> made to flex, not slip) or on tire tread (it's slippery, though it does
> make the tires nice and shiny black.)  And yes, the same applies to
> Armor-All.  Especially on motorcycles!

I would add a couple of cleaning tips learned thru bitter experience.
Miracle tire cleaner (No Touch) makes your tires look great for a few
days, then they turn a disgusting brown.  I tried the stuff on Kermit,
and after the first try I swore never again.  Then the cleanup men at
the H***a dealers used the stuff on my new car with the same ugly
result.

The NT appears to bond with the rubber so it is very hard to get off.  I
guess you are supposed to get hooked and keep using it.  (I can imagine No
Touch salesmen at schoolyards, giving away free samples--"Here kid, try
some of dis!") Soap and water won't touch it.  I am now trying
Bleech-White, intended to clean whitewalls.  It looks promising; it seems
to remove some of the crud left by the No Touch without leaving crud of
its own.  I will have to watch and see if the brown returns.

Armor-all (or silicone spray) does make the tires sidewalls nice and shiny
(I cannot imagine using it on the tread--who cares about how the tread
looks) (OK Porsche owners do, but who else?).  However, if you have disk
brakes, you had better not spray it on.  If the spray gets through the
wheel and on your disks, you can end up fouling up your brakes.

Ray Gibbons