Re:Biggest tires for a Midget

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:Biggest tires for a Midget
From: mchaffee@sumter.cso.uiuc.edu
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 94 01:23:50 -0500
        Assuming the rubber-bumper Midgets use the same wheels as the
chrome-bumper ones, and assuming you have disc and not wire wheels, then my
example is valid.  I have Yokohama A-509 tires in a 185/60-13 on the stock
wheels of my '74 Midget.  The stock wheels, you see, are 4 1/2" wide, and the
tires are specified for a minimum rim width of 5 1/2" - 6".  I was a little
concerned about both rim fit and clearance when using a tire so much wider
than the originals, but it works fine.  The tires squish around a little more
than they would on proper-width rims, but if you get the pressures right, not
unacceptably so.  The only clearance problem I have is the front tires rub the
swaybar a bit, but I have a Winner's Circle bar that's differently configured
from the stock one.  Rear clearance might not be so good on a square-wheelarch
Midget (I just don't know), and given how close the tires run on the inside
edge, I suspect there would be a problem also if the axle moved sideways at
all (I have a Panhard rod and highly recommend it as a matter of course).  But
if you want your Midget to stick like a real car, then tires in that size
and/or brand are great.  The speedometer's accurate, too!

        Michael T. Chaffee
        mchaffee@sumter.cso.uiuc.edu