quiz controversy

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: quiz controversy
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 94 16:12:56 EDT
Fellow fiends:

Okay, we seem to have a problem.  About an hour ago I posted the solution to
my exciting quiz regarding the misfire in the XJ-6.  Well, consider this
posting:

>I'll guess then.  Coils have oil in them...  I'm guessing the coil is
>mounted horizontally with its axis along the length of the car.  Some of
>the oil has leaked out... so the remaining oil sloshes.  When you back
>up, the oil sloshes forward, uncovering the rear portion of the coil...
>which heats up.... which then expands and becomes intermittant.
>
>Is that illogical enough? <g>
>
>John M. Trindle

John, I couldn't have put it better, except that it happens when the car
moves forward.  It appears that we have two winners now.  Winner number one
(the tennis ball theory), Randy Wilson; and winner number two (the sloshing
oil theory), John Trindle.  Disturbing, isn't it?

Will "I don't feel so bad, now" Zehring