Will Z's experience

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Will Z's experience
From: Ray James <rwj4123@sigma.tamu.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 94 12:51:45 PDT
Will Z writes,"
>...MISFIRE!  Indeed, right there on
>the coil, next to "12V" it says "use 1.5 ohm resistance."  How was I
>supposed to know?  I'M AN IDIOT!

I heard that education is what you get by reading the fine print.  Experience
is what
you get by *not* reading the fine print.  I guess we all feel pretty
"experienced"
sometimes.

Actually, something about the explanation doesn't sound right to me.  It seems
to me
that the referenced resistance may that in the spark plug or plug wire rather
than in
the circuit from battery thru low voltage side of coil.  (Unless the resistance
in the
coil is also approximately 1.5 ohm, a 1.5 ohm resistor in series with the coil
won't
drop the voltage to 6 volts, right?)  Hopefully some of our EE readers will
illuminate
(?) us, because I already told you more than I know.
Name: Ray W. James
Texas Transportation Institute
Civil Engineering Department, Texas A&M University
Date: 10/11/94
Time: 12:51:45