Re: Float Level / ? on MGB Tach. Error

To: "British Cars Digest (postings)" <British-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Float Level / ? on MGB Tach. Error
From: Joanne Hershfield <hershfld@isisa.oit.unc.edu>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 1994 11:28:11 -0400 (EDT)
Well, a very entertaining last few Digests here....I think being
acustomed to LBC's and other cars that lose their engines every 85,000
miles makes us long for and happy to own an OVLOV....It is nice to go
250,000 miles at 70+ MPH, before going past the first valve job and then
being paranoid about loosing a main beariung......

Anyway back to LBC.'s EH....

In my '74 MGB/GT I had a similar gas starving problem, The gas line from
the tank to the filter to the pump, the metal part of the line exiting
the tank was mostly clogged in the tank......tried poking with wires,
finally hooked up the Scuba tank and walloped a blast of air into the
tank,,,of course what clogged the line could do it again, or it may
dissolve to smaller fuel filter stoppable pieces,,,but that took care of
it....although someone already suggested checking the gravity flow from
the line....oh well .....also, I had a bad tank, that clogged the filter
prior to the pump every 200 or so miles,,,,,,that tank went to the
DUMP...and a good used was found, still driving that tank...

RE TACHOMETER ERROR.....my '69B's Tach is about 750-1000 rpm off, 750 at
the bottom of the scale at idle and pretty close to 1000 off at operating
speed, the engine and I believe the 2d4 dist, are from a '73 issue. The
coil is the orig. late '68 model......there is a loose connecting wire
into the tach, one of the white ones, but that doesn't logically reduce
the connection in my mind that would make it off or on,,,,,is there an
adjustment screw on the back of the tach, or inside to tweek it up, I do
have another working tach to cal it with,,,,,?

Thanks, and the weekend hits, maybe the begining of the week can get us
back to LBC content.....yes that fall foliage and cooool evenings, get
the scarves out and the tops down,,,,

PS, Ever wish your OVLOV wagon had a Rag Top, for those familly and a dog
and Bicycle outings on noce days.......

Jim Fink
'69 B
'71 B
'85 OVLOV 240 DL Waggy

Oh, the comment about Rolands sighting of the dead new OVLOV on the
Highway, made me think as no-one was inside, about the 850 no doors
series.....HMMM, but how did the car get there with no-one.....maybe it
just needed doors and got lost...

TTFN
jim