Re: Midget questions

To: Andrew Dooley <adooley@umr.edu>
Subject: Re: Midget questions
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 1994 10:51:29 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 4 Oct 1994, Andrew Dooley wrote:

>    Has anyone had any experience with convertible top repairs?  I have a top
> which is in excellent condition, with the exception of discolored windows that
> are seperating from the cloth.  I was wondering if it was possible to repair
> this top rather than send away for a new one.  All my money will be going to

You should be able to find an auto upholstery/top shop that will sew in
new windows if the rest of the top is sound, but it may not be worth
it--a top is not very expensive if you install it yourself.

>    Another question--does anyone know offhand if any of the overseas companies
> mentioned earlier sell body panels for the Midget at a reasonable price?  I

Check the news stands in your area for the british magazines Classic and
Sportscar, Classic Cars, and/or Practical Classics (fellow listers, do I
have these names exactly right?).  Their ads will help you find companies
in England who sell parts for your car.  I believe the current or just
past issue of C&S or CC has a little guide to parts suppliers glued to the
front cover that will help you.  Moss and Victoria British are good,
dependable suppliers, but watch the VB catalogue carefully; I have
found errors.  I have also gotten some fairly strange parts from time to
time.  You are wise to check around; I found large differences in prices
on parts.

In England, the best source of parts for your car used to be Spridgebits,
who were superb and carried many parts not available here.  Ron Hopkinson
took them over as I was finishing my car, so I have had relatively few
dealings with them.  See address below.  My limited experience was
favorable.  Communicate with overseas firms by FAX; it's far cheaper than
trying to transmit parts numbers, wait for them to check stock, etc.

> replace floor pans and the like.  Anything would have to fit better than the

I'd get floor pans from a US supplier; shipping from England would be
pricey on items this big and heavy.  Try smaller places like Seven, The
Healey Store in CA, etc. in addition to Moss and VB.  I think my floor
pans came from the Healey Store.  I like Moss and VB, but I also like to
patronize the littler guys when I can.

Some smaller suppliers:

Austin Healey Store, 8225 Remmet Ave., Canoga Park, CA 91304 Good
catalogue.

FASPEC, 606 SE Madison, Portland, OR 97214

Sports and Classics, 512 Boston Post Rd, Darien, CT 06820

Mini-Mania (In CA, address not handy) A good company, I reckon, but they
have a habit of mailing ads for items at low prices.  Then when I call,
all excited, they say they sold out days ago.  I think the left coasters
must get the ads long before I do.

Motorhead (In VA, address not handy)  Get their catalogue; very useful.
Motorhead is a good place.  Sometimes pricey, but they often have parts
nobody else has.

In England:

Ron Hopkinson, Ltd. 850 London Rd. Derby DE2 8WA, England FAX:
011-44-332-572332 (FAX them a VISA number and ask for their Sprite/Midget
catalog. It is a must.)

Moto-Build (I've only bought a grille from them, which was not perfect,
but loads better than the one Moss sells.  Don't know what else they
stock) FAX 011-44-81-866-4400

Ray Gibbons