gender confusion and insomniac rust.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: gender confusion and insomniac rust.
From: jsbradl@erenj.com
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 94 10:47:15 -0400
        I came in on the end of the discussion of Britcar stereotypes:

> It was brought to my attention that I had wrongly assumed she was a male.
> Sorry about that Jody.  I guess I jumped to the stereotype of all Britcar
> nuts as middle-aged, macho, males of mild-anglo persuasion.
>
> Anyone else care to dispel this stereotype with a thumbnail sketch of
> yourself?

Middle aged ---  check

Macho  ---   well, on a good day.  Cook though.

Male ---  check

mild-anglo persuasion  ---   full blooded Anglo, mate.

It never occurred to me that Jody was a chap. Back when Big Healey's had
three SU's there was a Del Shannon single, on the B-side of "Runaway",
called "Jody", and that kind of fixed it for me.  Never mind Jody Powell,
think more of Jody Foster. I enjoyed the thumb-nail sketch from Terri-Anne.
 I had always wondered about the details, since that provocative exchange
on the difficulty of packing her legs into LBCs.

On the rust issue - I have just received from the UK, via Moss, those
aluminum finishing strips which so brighten the doorway to heaven - in this
case the 67 Big - to add the finishing touch to the lovely body job I had
done last year.  They are shockingly expensive - about $180 per side !! -
but there you are.  Having removed the old shagged out ones, the ghost of
Michael Faraday snickered over my shoulder as I gazed in horror at the
little ring of rust dust round each screw hole where the aluminum plate had
been held to the steel body by a steel screw.  And me with a Ph.D. in
chemistry (I know, I know, let the feeding frenzy commence).  So, given the
relative oxidation potentials of the two metals, might the imminence of rot
be reduced by (i) a rubber gasket between the aluminum and steel, AND (ii)
using ceramic screws?  This must have been resolved before, but not by me.
Any advice welcome, even if it must be preceded by the usual flaming of the
ignorance of the doctoral classes.

Thanks to Roland and Robb Pryor and Mike Burdick and Jerry Kaidor for
replies on sticky pistons and rebuilding calipers.

John Bradley ('67 3000 and the fantasy of an XK 120)

John Bradley
Corporate Research
Exxon Research & Engineering
Rt. 22E  Annandale NJ 08801