Tailpipes (MGB)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Tailpipes (MGB)
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 03 Oct 1994 08:52:29 -0500
My MGB exhaust (of the finest British manufacture) is rapidly
succumbing to tinworm.  I understand that conveyance of fumes and
incinerated oil away from the driver is considered a useful
convenience.  I am considering three alternatives:

--Falcon stainless.  They fit and they are reasonably quiet.

--Header and "sport" exhaust (Monza).  Perhaps less quiet, more
performance.

--So-called stainless sport exhaust -- 1 7/8", single muffler.
Manufacturer unknown, from VB.

Question is do either of the sport configurations really improve
performance?  Has anyone any direct experience with either?
                                A. B. Bonds