AquaTreads

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: AquaTreads
From: Dodd@el.wpafb.af.mil (Mark A. Dodd, WL/ELOD, X55581/64158)
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 94 07:58:35 EDT
        While I have to admit my AquaTread experience is not on an lbc, it
might still be worth something.  I have a set of Eagle AquaTreads on my
Merkur Scorpio.  They are Eagles as the regular AquaTreads don't come wide
enough for the Scorp's rims.  The Eagles also have two channels instead of
one as the regular Aquas have.  My experience has been very good.  I have
only noticed one occasion when I got water born.  That was at about 65 mph
in a driving rain that had almost everyone over by the road side.  The rain
was so bad that my visibility was probably less than four or five car
lengths.  Sheer stupidity on my part for driving at that speed in those
conditions :-(  But I did make it without problems, thanks in great measure
to the Aquas.
        The poster also asked about how noisy they are.  The only time I
have noticed them being noisier than the old tires is on low speed corners.
I have onbe corner in the neighborhood that is taken at ~5 mph and is 135
degrees.  Outside of that, they are quiet (at least compared to the kids).
        If you are interested in them it may be worth bargaining with the
Goodyear folks or waiting until they are on sale.  The Eagles are new enough
that it will be a while before they go on sale.  I got prices on my second
choice tire and the Aquas from a dealer in town.  The Eagles listed at $750,
and the Bridgestones were $430.  I talked to the Goodyear place I always
have work on my cars (almost on their Christmas card list :-).  He said that
he would give them to me at approximately their cost since I do a lot of
business there.  The price came down to $530.  That was a justifiable cost
differential for me, of course YMMV.
Mark A Dodd                 Working in the dark (infrared)
email: dodd@el.wpafb.af.mil Working in the grease (MGs)
Snail: 2700 D St, Ste 2     Working in the dust (212 Central
       WPAFB, OH 45433-7405                      Dayton, OH)
       (513) 255-5581