Expedia S-07 225/50 or Replacement on RX-7 (89)

To: ba-racers@tuttle.Eng.Sun.COM, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Expedia S-07 225/50 or Replacement on RX-7 (89)
From: Alan.Marr@Eng.Sun.COM (Alan Marr)
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 1994 00:47:12 +0800
I wore out my street tires autocrossing this season.  I will not be
autocrossing on the replacements.  I need to replace my Bridgestone
Expedia S-07 225/50Z16 tires.  Apparently they are now available in
only one size (the next one up).  This is not an option since I've
already gone up one size from stock (which were Bridgestone Potenza
RE-71).

1) Does anyone have a line on old stock in my size?

2) What is a good replacement?  I wish to optimize for dry pavement,
good cornering (roadholding), less than $280 dollars each, and 20,000
miles plus wear.  Expedia S-01? (different from S-07),  Bridgestone
RE-940?  Other manufacturers?

3) I'm thinking of autocrossing next year with proper tires (like BFG
R1 230), but I'll need four wheels and tires, and I need to cut costs
to the bone.  Are steel rims good for autocrossing or is alloy needed?
Can one easily inspect used rims for trueness?  Any ideas on getting
inexpensive 16 in. wheels in stock width?

Thanks.

Alan.