Re: Seat Belts

To: (British Cars)british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Seat Belts
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 1994 15:10:04 EST
OW! I trust you're healing OK. Your TA must be a mess, just after getting
everything into shape. I hope the TA is repairable.

The problem with 3 point belts in a square rigger, is there's no good
location for the top point, unless you have installed a roll bar. You want
all your seat belt mountings to be connected either to the frame, or
something directly connected to it. Heck, the body's move around on these
cars enough, just when they're running down the road.

In an accident, the wooden body can shift, or rip loose from the frame, and
the third mounting of the belt along with it, if that's where you've mounted
it. This may result in a very loose belt, or one that gets pulled *very*
tightly around you.

Also- I've recently read something from an MGA racer who had flipped his car
(twice!) and the floor mounting bolts all ripped right out, even with big
washers, resulting in a flopping floor.I think what his fix was something
like steel strips running along the top side of the floor, bolted through to
the frame.

Get well soon!

   ________
  /     _  \    Roger Garnett             (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /   /||  \ \   Agricultural Economics   |
| |\/ ||  _  |  3 Warren Hall            | "The South Lansing Centre
| |   ||   | |  Cornell University       |  For Wayward Sports Cars"
 \    ||__/ /   Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801  | (607) 533-7735
  \________/    (607) 255-2522           | Safety Fast!