Re: car theft & car security

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (british cars list)
Subject: Re: car theft & car security
From: asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk (Adrian Jefferies)
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 1994 16:05:24 +0100 (BST)
hi

A couple of days ago Will Zehring (wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu)
was discussing car security/immobilisers.

I'm in favo[u]r of hidden switches: on an MGB I owned, the tacho
counted the pulses from the distributer contact breakers. The pair
of wires to the tacho ran conveniently close to an unused bracket
under the dash, so I mounted a switch there which shorted the
contact breaker, thus simulating the "gap closed" position => no spark.

On my TR, I've got a switch in the coil 12V line, the switch is hidden
under the dash. Its a bit ugly, but effective => no spark. A side
benefit of this is that you can have the ignition on & the coil off,
which can be useful for fiddling with the electrics.

I have heard of people putting a switch in to disable the fuel
pump, as mentioned on this list the other day, but the drawback is
that you may forget to engage it & run out of juice just as you
overtake that truck ...

Regards, Adrian
        asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk