re: K&N Filter cleaning

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: re: K&N Filter cleaning
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 1994 11:10:59 +0000
Marcus,  I would recommend getting a K&N cleaning kit... includes the
soap and the oil, for $12-15 from your parts store.  Should be enough to
do both filters.

Why?  1) K&N instructions are very specific, and dead set against using
gasoline or kerosine (so the degreaser might be verboten as well)  2) you
might as well use the right oil.  and 3) They are supposed to last 50,000
miles under normal use so you don't have to do this very often.

I have put 20,000 miles so far on a K&N for my RX7 and it is still flowing
fine.  I just put one on my MG (it is an HIF4, not 6 as I have been
writing) and it improved things noticably (the old paper filter was filthy,
though).

John M. Trindle     | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB E Stock     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock