Re: Several questions about restorations

To: "Charles R. Semer IV" <CRS@gnv.ifas.ufl.edu>
Subject: Re: Several questions about restorations
From: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 1994 11:58:11 PDT
In message <01HH222B635E8XE9VE@gnv.ifas.ufl.edu> you write:

>       I have a 1950 Armstrong Siddeley Whitley model. The car is complete wit
>  h the
>exception of windsheild wipers. I have joined the UK A/S owners club, will be
>  joining the
>Australian A/S owners club and have read and collected much of the available i
>  nformation
>about the car.
>
>       The electrical system is Lucas [What else] and it is about this system
>  that I have questions. The car currently does not have a radio but has a
>  location in the dash for mounting and a factory installed antenna. I have
>  checked  several places in the U.S. and have found out that none of the
>  currently radios can be used with the car due to the polarity of the
>  electrical system. I would like to know two things, one can anyone
>  suggest a source for a radio that is complatable with this vintage
>  electrical system? and if this is not practical what is involved with
>  changing the polarity of the entire electrical system? How will this
>  effect the guages, lights, etc?

Well, I had a radio installed in my '51 Bentley (back when it was, uh, not
"undergoing a lengthy restoration") and we installed some kind of DC-DC
converter to make the +12 volts needed.

You could do that: I don't know where to get such a box these days but I don't
think it would be too hard.

or you could isolate the radio from the chassis and wire its ground to your
-12 and its +12 to your ground ("earth").  THis is not recommended, because
metal contact between the radio and the car structure will cause a short.

some people HAVE converted their cars to the more modern earthing system.  I
think it's straightforward, with little more than switching colil connections
and repolarizing the generator needed.  I suspect we'll hear from folks that
have done it.

Finally, you could hold out for a period vintage radio which you will have no
trouble installing.