Missing at 3,000 r.p.m.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Missing at 3,000 r.p.m.
From: Doug Phillips <Douglas.W.Phillips@williams.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 1994 08:00:43 -0400 (EDT)
Ken:

    A friend's MG TD was exhibiting the same problem. It turned out that a tiny
bit of oil made its way onto the points within the distributor cap (TD's
require a few drops of oil under the rotor every 3,000 miles - I'm not sure
about TR's). It was a real bugger to diagnose - he replaced wires, cap, plugs,
fuel filter etc. He didn't suspect points because they were recently replaced.
He finally checked the points and found them to be slightly oily. A simple
cleaning and he was fine thereafter. YMMV. Cheers. -Doug

"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of my restoration style"

        Doug Phillips (Douglas.W.Phillips@Williams.edu)
        1952 MG TD, Member, New England T Register (#11109) and Berkshire
        County British Motor Car Club / Williams College, Williamstown, MA