TR6 Overdrive

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Overdrive
From: "Himelfarb, Mike" <mike@sdm.ShoppersDrugMart.ca>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 1994 06:27:08 -0400
G'Day Fellow SOL'ers,

I've been reading this list for the past year while looking for a TR6 at a
reasonable price and finally bought a '76 last month in good shape.  Body shell
has been replaced from doors back, new floors, new frame, new top, new interior
vinyl/carpets.  Motor and tranny are rebuilds from a '75 with only 2,000 miles
on them.  Ontario safety certificate required replacement of ball joints and
trunions, differential mounts, exhaust and some electrical (indicators, horn,
defroster blower), so there's little left to be done.  Between the purchase
price and certification costs, the whole thing totalled out about $6,000.

Today's question relates to the overdrive, which is non-working.  My knowledge
of this unit is minimal, so I'm looking for some expert diagnosis to guide me
before I start turning the interior inside out to get at it this winter.  There
are two problems I feel are related.

First, as I said, the O/D's not a goer (nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more)
since moving the steering column stalk results only in a slight case of wrist
RSI, some frustration and nothing more.  Second, whenever the load is removed
from the drivetrain in high 3rd or 4th gear (foot removed from throttle) a loud,
tinny "rattle" emanates from the tranny, like something banging against the
case.  I wish I could better describe it, but this medium doesn't lend itself to
sound very well.  I'm assuming this is O/D-related due to its occurrence in
3rd/4th only, but I'm open to suggestions.

My preliminary diagnosis, based upon said lack of knowledge, is that the
solenoid is toast and is stuck half-way, thus leaving a gearshaft or two
somewhat, but not fully, engaged.  Out to lunch diagnosis I'll bet, but it's the
best I can do at this point.  Therefore, my plan for this winter is to tear out
the dashboard (necessary anyway due to non-functional tach, oil press, wiper
switch and some lights), trace the O/D wiring from the switch to ensure it's
good, pull off the tranny cover and test the relay and solenoid, then pray!

Ideas anyone?