Re British Weights & Measures

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re British Weights & Measures
From: Paul Rodenhuis <paulr@pwd.nsw.gov.au>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 1994 09:34:42 +1000
In my schooldays (long, long ago), i was told the reason for the
odd weights (112lb in a hundredweight etc) was because they were originally
used to measure grain.  To get one hundred pounds of pure grain meant
having 112 pounds with the husks etc.  Now this may or not be true,
I don't know.  I don't know how many samples they took, the mean and
standard deviation, account for moisture content etc etc.

To answer another posters question/answer:  the tonne is the metric
unit for 1000 kg.  The ton or long ton is Imperial 2240 lb.  The short
ton is 2000 lb.

ObBritCar content:
Latley my Zephyr has been playing up, getting hard to start.  Its been
cold in the mornings (alright cool for you Nth American residents) around
6degrees C (around 40F).  The battery doesnt get much of a charge as I
only go about 4km to the station.  ANyway, at the weekend I took a
fairly long run into the city and back around 50 0 60 km.  When I got home
I unloaded the car, then went to move it out.  It took a l-o-n-g time to
restart.  Again yesyerday and this morning after having it on the
battery charger overnight it started straight away.  I drove to the
station, let it idle a while, revved it up a bit and switched off.
I then tried to restart with no sign of life.  What gives?
Is there something in the Zenith carby thats heat sensitive? or the
electrics??  Why does it run quite happily then refuse to start.

Looking for net.wisdom on this one.

paulr
57 Mk II Zephyr (daily driver)