SKINNING A MGB DOOR

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: SKINNING A MGB DOOR
From: john.bartholomew@amail.amdahl.com
Date: Tuesday, 16 August 1994 09:25 PT
I am restoring an MGB and part of my restoration involves repair
of the passenger door.
I have already replaced the bottom rusted out portion of the door
frame and I am at the point where I need to attach the new outer
skin.  I have pondered this next step for some time and as a result
I decided to invite suggestions from you experianced BRITISH CAR
buffs, on how to proceed. My major concern comes from looking at the
corner flanges.  I am not sure  what the best way is to "FOLD" them
back on themselves and at the same time, sandwich the door frame
inside leaving the completed door in a "ripple free" state.
I have the old skin removed and I have the new skin that fits nicely
over the frame. Once I make the first weld I am committed and the skin
is attached. Is there some step I can perform before I begin welding?
I know I  must align the door trim line with the door frame, this was
brazed on the original at both ends the rest was spot welded. I have
MIG and OXY/ACET and a fair amount of patience.
Has anyone undertaken such a task. if so what are the "gocha's" ?
Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Thankx in advance.

John.Bartholomew
            John Bartholomew  AMDAHL SAN JOSE CA.
         Opinions are my own, not those of my employer.
        72 MGB, restoring 76 MGB, 78 MGB daily transport.
408-944-3592 (07:00-16:00 PDT)  via internet   jdb70@amail.amdahl.com