Re: adjustable cam timing

To: sol <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: adjustable cam timing
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 1994 22:06:20 -0400 (EDT)
>   Here's how it would work.  (I'm not Marcus so I won't even attempt a
> cool ASCII drawing.)  On the tense side of the chain, (driver's side),
> install a very small idler sprocket in the middle of the chain's travel
> between the crank and cam sprockets.  This sprocket would 'push' into the
> chain from the outside, effectively advancing the relationship of the cam
> sprocket to the crank sprocket.  Adjustment would be provided by an Allen
> stud, threading into the side of the timing chain cover.  The Allen stud
> would be held fast by an outside nut.

 A well known car maker, famous for marching to a very different beat,
designed a belt driven OHC engine with the tension adjuster on the leading
(tension) side of the belt. There was, and is, a race series for cars using
this engine. One of the important development tricks in this series is
knowing exactly how tight to set the cam belt, as it has major effects
on cam timing.

   Randy