Re: MGB Modifications

To: wi0297@TAMUG3.TAMU.EDU, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Modifications
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 94 09:26:06 -0700
In message <1288.wi0297@[165.95.48.6]_POPMail/PC_3.2.2> "Donald Williams"
writes:
>      O.K., some people like to keep their "B's" in original condition, but
> I would like to see mine improved upon.  Does anyone know if there is an
> intake header that will work on an aftermarket carb. besides the Weber
> 45DCOE?  Such as one that would fit a Holey carb.?  Or would a Holey be
> too much for an MGB? (Holey is an easier carb to setup and work on)

Donald, you didn't mention the year of your engine, so we can only guess what is
on it now.  The twin SUs that come on the car are hard to beat.  A weber DCOE is
only better at the high end and any other swap I have heard of is worse.  One
thing that could help is going from the 1-1/2 inch SUs to the 1-3/4 inch SUs.
But to take advantage of the extra breathing you would need to port the head's
intake passages and put in a cam with a bit more duration. (Think if the engine
as a ecosystem that is in balance.  Tweek one part without the others and it is
not fuctioning correctly).

The stock exhaust system with the two pipes that join near the bell housing is
as good as they cme from the factory.  You would have to make a lot of tweeks
for increased brathing before you would notice a differnce by going with a
header.

A book called tuning the 'A' series engine would be helpful.  The A series is a
little brother to the B series in your car and the same tricks work.

>      Has anyone tried the "coil-over" suspension system on their "B"
> yet?  If so how do you like the ride?

If you want to go around corners flatter but don't mind a stiffer ride, look
into anti-sway bars first.

Sorry, I do not have a wiring diagram handy

> Donald C. Williams
> Senior in Marine Biology,
> President, Galveston Grotto,
> Texas A&M University
> Galveston, Texas
>
> Reply to: wi0297 @tamug3.tamu.edu
> Or to: wi0297@165.95.48.6
>
> No flames please, it's a waste of your time and mine!
> ---------------------------------

Flaming is considered bad maners on this list. Peace

TeriAnn
EX-senior in Marine Biology (long since graduated)
Moss Landing Marine Labs
Moss Landing California

TeriAnn Wakeman        Large format photographers look at the world
twakeman@apple.com     upside down and backwards
LINK: TWAKEMAN
408-974-2344                         TR3A - TS75519L,
                       MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, Land Rover 109 - 164000561