red/green rubber grease.. and PEKTRON boxes

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: red/green rubber grease.. and PEKTRON boxes
From: JWCHESLEY@aamc.org
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 1994 12:41:49 -0500
   OK, so I'm always late!... I missed that TD in college and I
just joined the list a month or so ago... so, I'm in the dark
regarding red and green grease, so what.... except that I ran
out of red 'Lucas/Girling Rubber Grease' half-way through my
Girling calipers and the local Britcar shop sold me a packet
of, you guessed it, 'Lucas/Girling Green Grease'.  HELP!
   Neither the parts people nor the mechanics could provide
an explanation of the difference.  I have been using the red
grease for all brake rubber/metal sealing points and
smearing a film on the pistons for ease of assembly... now
they give me 'green grease' and I'm lost.
  I saw a brief reference to a previous thread about this.  Can
someone send me/post a synopsis or point me to the proper
digests or archives??  Or, is this a mystery to EVERYONE?
 ... like that PEKTRON box under the Midget's dashboard
that isn't in any wiring diagrams, was apparently only put in
late '74 1275 Midgets, kept the car from running when it
died, and wasn't missed at all when I wired a jumper around
it years ago???  Can any Lucas-gremlin-experts tell me
what THAT was for??? (this is less urgent than the grease
question, obviously!)
  - jack (in search of truth) chesley
<<jwchesley@aamc.org>>