Poetry Corner or Culture Time

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Poetry Corner or Culture Time
From: doug@dsg128.nad.ford.com (Douglas Mitchell)
Date: Wed, 25 May 94 13:23:23 EDT
Whilst recently cleaning my closet of old car/boat/computer magazines, I ran
across this poem in an old copy of The Triumph Review - the official magazine
of the Detroit Triumph Sportscar Club, from 1979 - our 20th year.

                 MAD DOGS AND ENGLISHMEN

               doggerel by susan j. baude

    Mad dogs and Englishmen
    Will drive a British car.
    The Japanese don't dare to.
    The Italians wouldn't care to.
    The French and the Americans demand luxury,
        by gar.

    The Russians thrive on cars that drive on
        Over a hundred thousand mile.
    The Germans make 'em hard to break 'em
        They don't even leak for a while.
    An auto's a star when it goes afar
        Without a jolt or jar.
    But mad dogs and Englishmen
        Will drive a British car.

    For the Englishman's best--in a test.
    No one knows why the Britisher goes
        For Triumphs, MGs, or Minis.
    Where tinkerin's rife in each owners life
        With rust and leaks ad infini.

    Their homeland's shrouded, mostly clouded
        But British cars stop form the dew.
    They don't require a rain to retire
        And the body rusts-out while its new.

    Only they feast on what England has least
        Gulping up gallons with zeal.
    Forever more there's oil on the floor
        Even after a new rear main seal.

    Then they export cars to roam.
    That won't ever run at home,
    Most folks think they're crazy,
    That fog's made them hazy.
    But mad dogs and Englishmen
        Will drive a British car.

Submitted for your enjoyment.
BTW, If anyone knows the author, I would like to her to know that this
doggerel has been appreciated by many people.

Doug Mitchell