Significant others and LBCs

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Significant others and LBCs
From: sands@kaleida.com (Michael Sands)
Date: Mon, 23 May 94 10:22:49 PDT
Interesting how much support our significant others offer.  Mine is a bit
different in training, but about the same in support.

Lynne, wonderful wife, is a mechanical engineer by training.  This is good.
 She is working on a space expriment to measure Einstein's theory of
relativity, particularly gravity deviation.  The expriment requires new
levels of precision.

Scott talked about touch and how hard to push on things.  Experience.
Lynne will ask for torque specifications for the most trivial of screws
because she does not have the experience but does know what will happen if
she does it wrong.  But she knows how to make it all go together!  I am
amazed how many torque specifications I do not know but assume.

My favorite image is a picture of us working on the Seven during an open
track event.  The steering rack would shift slightly, interfering with a
frame rail.  Lynne would tigten the bolts from the top while bending over
the front of the car and I would be on my back underneath, trying to hold
the bottom from moving.  I trust her with safety critical items.

My Seven even benefits from her design expertise.  I am constantly asking
her advice on this assembly or that and how I might make it better.  She
does the math for my alignment calculations.

There are gaps.  I wish she would drive the Seven in autocross competition.
 I wish she would let me mount a kid's seat to the roll bar.  I wish I
could get access to all those nice titanium nuts and bolts they have at her
work.

But I am thankful for the blessings.  I get so excited when she drives off
in the Seven, pony tail blowing in the wind.   She wants a TR6 and she
helped get the NSX  (oops, sorry, no LBC content here...)  And best of all,
she loves to be a passenger in my LBC even when I motor agressively!

Michael

Michael Sands                                   Kaleida Labs
(415) 966-0711                                  sands@kaleida.com