Re: The Jensen Lives!!

To: "Scions of Lucas" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The Jensen Lives!!
From: "Dave Lapham" <Dave_Lapham@oakqm3.sps.mot.com>
Date: 16 May 1994 17:29:58 U
                      RE> The Jensen Lives!!

> Sometime ago I started asking for help on a JH engine rebuild.
> I got some general pointers and learned that the engine was
> Lotus built and that I would get more info from the Lotus list.
> Actually they were pretty much in the same boat, no-one admitted
> to rebuilding the 907 series engine......

> Well, after weekends and (short) vacations, between school, work
> and a limited social life, the 907 Lotus engine roared to life May 10th.

Whew!  You're a better person than I am!  I dread the day when
spouse's Jensen-Healey needs an engine overhaul.  I'll do it, but
it's not on the list of things to which I'm looking forward with
eager anticipation.

> A point for the JH as "The Wonderful Car", If you look for the two
> last models, the JH5 and the GT, I think they both have the
> 'overdrive' in their 5-speed trannies.  Our Jensen is a 5-speed
> (it's a 74 1/2) and 5th is overdrive.  It looks great and is
> reported to out handle the Porsche 911 of the day, skidpad #s
> I believe.  Almost reasonably priced, usually less than $3k,
> although I've been told that "the Jensen-Healey is a three
> thousand dollar car with a two thousand dollar engine".

A $3K car with a $2K engine -- a very apt description.
However regarding the overdrive, my understanding is that the
5th gear is still just a 1-1 ratio through the transmission.
The rear axle ratio did go down a little on the 5-speeds, about
seven per cent I think.  It's still not like having an overdrive,
but the cars do pretty well on the interstate as they are.  I
think they're one of the best values to be found for the money!