Re: Nerfmobiles in Britain?

To: DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM, british-cars@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Nerfmobiles in Britain?
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 9 May 94 14:12:22 -0700
In message <940509131420.20800ff0@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM> "Dan Parslow, x2556"
writes:
> Is this airbag thing strictly a U.S. phenomenon?
>
> One thing I was delighted to notice last fall when I visited the
> U.K. was that the L-reg (i.e. brand new) Escort I rented--I mean
> hired-- had no automatic belts or airbag, no "fasten belts"
> indicator and/or screaming buzzer.  This made me absurdly happy.
>
> Is this lack of compulsory safety stuff the norm for the UK?
> And does it reflect a lower accident rate?  Does anyone know the
> figures?
>
> Is it possible that they've managed to keep their fatality
> rate down by requiring drivers to be _competent_ before issuing
> them licences?   That would certainly be cheaper, let alone
> safer...
>
> Dan "the most important safety component is the driver" Parslow

Its my understanding that unlike the US, you need to know how to drive in order
to get a liscense. in the US, there seem to be a LOT of preople who havent more
than a clue on driving, and those who are so board with driving that they are
reading, shaving or putting on make up while driving.... into the back of the
car in front of them :^(

TeriAnn Wakeman        Large format photographers look at the world
twakeman@apple.com     upside down and backwards
LINK: TWAKEMAN
408-974-2344                         TR3A - TS75519L,
                       MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, Land Rover 109 - 164000561