Re: Cleaning blocks,casings etc.

To: sga1@ukc.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Cleaning blocks,casings etc.
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 5 May 1994 11:49:44 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 5 May 1994 sga1@ukc.ac.uk wrote:

> I'm going the overhaul the engine and box on my Mini and would
> like to paint them before they go back in the car. The engine's
> not that greasy but I'd like to remove the old paint first (what
> there is of it).  I'm sure I've read somewhere that you can use a
> caustic solution, like you might use to unblock a drain, is this
> to be recommended?  The head and block are cast iron and the 'box

I strongly recommend against a caustic solution.  I tried using oven
cleaner on a rear axle.  It cleaned it pretty well, but despite generous
washing afterward, it got rusty very quickly.  Also, aluminum does not
like to be cleaned with caustic soda or the equivalent.

I'd clean both the engine and the transmission with engine
cleaner/degreaser before disassembly.  I assume the block would be dipped
by the machinist as a normal part of the overhaul, which should take care
of anything you miss.  I'd clean paint off of sheet metal parts with a
angle grinder and wire brush.  Then overhaul and assemble the engine and
transmission, in the process of which you will inevitably get it all oily
and greasy.

When it is all done, hang the engine up, and spray it generously with
carburetor cleaner.  It is *very* good at removing grease and oil from
the block and other bits; spray it on generously and let it drip off onto
cardboard or something.  This will clean off the fresh oil and grease from
assembly, and leave the whole thing clean as clean can be.  It probably
will remove remnants of old paint, too.

Then I would spray it.  I have never heard of anyone priming engine or
transmission parts--just a thin coat of paint directly on the metal.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910