stalling/choking

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: stalling/choking
From: buzz@ignatz.UCSD.EDU (Jayson Tipp)
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 94 08:08:08 PDT
I have a '63 Himman Superminx 4dr with a recently rebuilt Rootes 1725 engine.
The car starts and idles fine. And, the car runs fine if kept choked fully.
However, if not choked, the car will decelerate if kept at even pressure on the
accelerator at driving rpms.  It also has a slight hesitation when accelerating
from a stop. I assumed that the carb was potentially bad- so I replaced it with
no change.  I thought there might be a problem with the distributor- replaced
it with no change.  The sensation is as if the car isn't getting enough fuel at
higher rpms (it occurs when stopped or driving), so I thought the mechanical
fuel pump might have problems.  I replaced it with an electric pump- no change.
 I'm left with few reasonable options I think.  Next I going to check for a
stoppage in the fuel line from the tank or in the tank itself.  Everything else
seems to chek out.  Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks.

Jayson Tipp
University of California, San Diego