Jags, MGB, life, internal combustion & everything

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Jags, MGB, life, internal combustion & everything
From: KMWHEELER@ualr.edu
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 1994 12:53:59 -0600 (CST)
Someone said that Jag MKII's for less than $4k mean trouble.  I guess
I don't even want to know what our $500 MKI means.

I am planning (within a couple of months) on making an offer on the E-type
I posted about sometime back.  For once I'm going to buy what I need to
get the car running when I buy the car.  It looks promising, but who knows.
If I can't get it, I've got plenty of other cars to spend it on...

This particular E may be as much trouble as our MKI.  At least the E has
a complete engine.  Both have rusty floors, sills, etc, and will need
complete cosmetic restoration.  I guess someone has to be naive or
stubborn or what ever it is that makes me think I can do anything with
these old cars.

Sometimes my heart feels the pain of rusted old sheetmetal.  It hurts so
to see once glorious machines neglected, used and forgotten like they
had no more purpose.  The work and dreaming, the engineers and the common
laborers, all that effort to be left rotting in someone's backyard.

My MGB still has some pinging.  It is very irritating, but I can't expect
the first engine I built to be perfect.  I think I'll pull the head and
polish the combustion chambers.  I've got a head that is mega cracked, so
I may practice this weekend.

Maybe someday my MIG welding and painting and wrench turning will be as good
as my dreams are.

Last weekend we ran in our first rally with the BMCA (British Motoring Club
of AR).  We had a blast!  (It was a question answering type rally--I'd
rather drive---we came in dead last )  The coolest thing was sitting in the
parking lot, in line (we were #6 out of 32 cars), waiting for the start.
There was no call to get in the cars, but as the out time approached, things
calmed down, and people stopped looking at other folk's engines, and headed
to their cars.  Doors closed, and then, the roar of engines.  TR's, Spits,
B's, Midgets, and a Big Healy.  Our next rally will be a big one.  A tour
halfway across Arkansas.  17 April, with an autocross the weekend after.
Maybe I can get the head done by then.

Time to get back to work,

Keith -still stubborn and willing to try to do any kind of work that
       is needed to make my cars go, go faster, look better, and
       maintain the dream-  Wheeler