Re: slow oil guages

To: gerry@hostel.lincroftnj.ncr.com
Subject: Re: slow oil guages
From: Paul Osborne <paul@ee.rochester.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 1994 09:01:04 -0500 (EST)

> This past weekedn I replaced the old steel oil pressure guage line, with some
> clear plastic line and also installed an oil pressure switch (rated at 20psi)
> on the Midget.

        Gerry, be careful using plastic tubing for oil pressure line.
        When the engine comes up to temp. the oil will be HOT. If the
        plastic tubing is not rated for the temp and pres. it will
        rupture or if it toutches something HOT it will melt. Leaving
        you with a oil leak all over the engine compartment and
        no oil. This happened to my friend and a tractor. He replaced the
        oil guage with one from a catalogue and it came with a plastic
        tubing and fittings. I helped him install it but the tubing just
        did not look right. To me it felt to flexable, well it worked
        ok till it warmed up. The tubing expaned, broke and HOT oil
        was blowing out of the broken tubing all over everything at
        about 60 PSI. Mess city.

        paul