License plates

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: License plates
From: desouza@garnet.berkeley.edu (Paulo de Souza)
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 1994 11:30:44 -0800
Does anybody knows what is the scoop with the California DMV as it
relates to old license plates ?

I bought a 59 Sprite that has NOT been registred in 21 years and
after a 3 months battle with the DMV I got the right to keep the
old numbers in the original plates (they were not assigned to anybody)...
but now I would like to have 2 plates made for the car (new ones) and
apparently, one just can't do that !!!!!!! Is this really true ?

My plates are the old black-with-yellow-letter on them and they are
in pretty bad shape so I called one guy in Florida that advertises
in Hemmings - when asked if I could use them in the car, he fricked
out on the phone .... On the DMV side they want to give me a new white
one (still with the old numbers) and say that I can't use anything NOT
manufactured by THEM in the car.

I guess my only solution is to recondition and repaint the ones I have,
does anybody has any pointers to who does this kind of stuff ?

Paulo Ney