TRF cross-border shopping

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (british-cars@autox.team.net)
Subject: TRF cross-border shopping
From: Marcel Chichak <chichm@tibalt.supernet.ab.ca>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 94 23:29:54 MST
@LURK_MODE=OFF

Regarding TRF orders (or any orders for that matter) crossing
the US border to Canada. I order quite regularly from Mini Mania etc.
and ask for "ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS" to be emblazend across the package. FYI
antique auto parts come across duty free, we only pay the dreaded 7% GST
(Gouge and Screw Tax).

If TRF has a problem with a customer requesting this for a vehicle obviously
<25 years old, then they should just ship the stuff without the declaration
of ANTIQUE. (And keep shipping, the economy is too flat to deny customers)
The customs people will then charge the proper duty etc. and the onus will
be on the customer to file an appeal for reimbursement of the duty. I am all
too familiar with this process, and I keep several photocopies of my heritage
certificate in the drawer to prove the age of the Cooper.

Marcel Chichak  Certified Mini Nut    | Go in deeper, come out
voice (403)466-6004                   |harder and come from
Fax (403)469-8650                     |behind!, That's what it's
chichm@tibalt.supernet.ab.ca          |like to race a Mini!

@LURK_MODE=ON