Reply to Kazuhiro Re: info on pre Lotus Seven

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, igeta@ars.ntt.jp
Subject: Reply to Kazuhiro Re: info on pre Lotus Seven
From: flarsen@uclink.berkeley.edu (Flemming Larsen)
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 1994 22:58:07 -0800
Greetings Kazuhiro,

You wrote, in reply to my posting re: info on pre Lotus Seven:

> Ford aquaplane,MG XPAG,Climax FWA/B etc.BMW? COME ON!
> There is no 2 litter 4banger unil late 60's,which came next to the Twincam.
> I think frame is the best(and only) way to identify old Lotuses.

I am in full agreement with you. I only quoted the original author EXACTLY
as he wrote in his book "The Story of Lotus" (page 189).

I also think it is highly unlikely that the car described by the original
poster is a Lotus Mark VI. After all, Colin Chapman always had his cars,
even those based on the Austin Seven, registered under the Lotus name.

A more likely explanation is that Lotus Engineering, during their early
days in Hornsey, were supporting their development efforts by taking on
"odd job" modifications for owners of Austin Seven race cars, who then
went on to proudly proclaim that their cars were "Lotus Specials".

>>  I have a 1964 Lotus Seven, which I have been (re)storing for the last
>>  15 years and I am familiar with the details of the Mark VI.

> I would like to hear your restoring story/project, too.

Sorry, I should be more specific. It's a very sad story really. I bought
the Lotus back around 1978 and was immediately stricken by a severe case
of shipwright's disease. I now have a very large collection of Lotus parts!

I used to tease my son, who was about five years old at the time, that I
was going to try to get it back together for the time he was going to be
old enough to take the driving test for his driver's license.
Well, he called me up a couple of months before his sixteenth birthday
and asked "So, is the Lotus going to be ready?". I had to disappoint him.
That was five years ago. He just turned 21, and is no longer speaking to me.

Well, maybe one of these days I'll have enough time and enough money and
enough space and enough money and enough time and enough....

- -- Flemming "They call me a dreamer" by "The Starlites" Larsen