Clunker Laws

To: b-c@bb1t.monsanto.com
Subject: Clunker Laws
From: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com (Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626)
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 94 12:04:40 -0600
It seems that the Council Of Vehicle Associations (COVA) is the main
information source for the anti-junker-law faction. Many lbc clubs are
members of COVA, and if you call them (oops, I don't have the number
here, they're in Illinois somewhere) they will send you a large packet
of information.

I live in a rural county outside of St. Louis and its liberal environs.
Out where I am, there are actually GUNS on the racks in the pickups. There
is no emissions testing, either, and there are times when I get behind
a car that is spewing ghastly clouds of noxious smoke.

But that is a true rarity. And usually, these cars are NEWER than '75! Let's
face it, if a car is older than 19 years and is still used on the road, that
is probably because someone has taken the trouble to maintain and/or
restore it. The clunker laws are going after the wrong targets.

If we must have emissions and safety inspections, so be it. But the age of
a vehicle isn't always an accurate gauge of its condition! And if some
tree-hugger makes me give up my Triumphs, I'm gonna go club a baby seal.

Larry