Re: Pedals and Calipers

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pedals and Calipers
From: Emmett Merricks <emmett@char.vnet.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 1994 00:41:16 -0500 (EST)
TeriAnn, about that lower stop on the gas pedal...that bolt should be long
enough to take up any slack in the pedal-carb linkage. In other words,
I don't think you would want to have the gas pedal flopping around when
you take your foot off of it. Now I know that some folks use that bolt as
an idle speed adjustment but that is not why it (is/was) there.

As for the brake caliper shims, I would put them back where they came from.
And most important; be sure they are replaced in the same order as they
were removed, since they may not all be the same thickness and if they are
switched around the situation may be worse than with no shims at all. (A
center drift might be useful in getting everything lined up for the bolt)

After the calipers have be reinstalled, it would be a good idea to check
the clearances between the pistons and disk for centering. But don't rely
on one check per wheel. Rotate the wheel 1/2 turn and recheck the clearance.
Do this several times on each wheel, readjust the shims and repeat the check
until you are satisfied that the average clearance is acceptable to you.
(That's where the diff between crackerjack and so-so mechanics shows up)

Have fun...

Emmett --