Re: Bubble flares

To: andrewpf%geds@mhsgate.salem.ge.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bubble flares
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 94 16:49:46 -0800
In message <20B098380105AED1@mhsgate.salem.ge.com> Andrews Peter F writes:
> Another in the long line of tasks for my Bugeye is the fabrication of new
> brake lines.  There was a discussion on the list a few days ago on the
> subject but I'm still confused as to which way to go.
>
> A friend lent me a Snap-on double flare flaring tool.  Most of the brake
> lines have a "bubble" flare on them.  Is this flare simply the first step
> in the double flare operation?  Is there a special tool needed for
> bubbles?
>
> I suppose I will need to use the fittings from my present lines.  Anyone
> know of a source for the fittings?
>
> Thanks
>
> Pete Andrews                    1959 AH Sprite Mk1  AN5L/18575
> andrews_pf@salem.ge.com         1961 AH Sprite MK1  AN5L/44591

Pete, check to see what kind of flares are on the MK1 before making up a set of
brake lines.  I strongly suspect that you MkI sprite has the same flare as is
used in the US, just slightly different fittings.  Both my Land Rover and my
TR3A are in the same age group as your MKIs and they both have US style flares.

The UK style fittings have a much longer theaded portion and the male fittings
have a smooth section to help align the fitting. If you try to screw an American
style male fitting into a UK female fitting the flare will seat with only about
1/2 a thread engaged.  If you do it the other way around the shorter US style
male fitting will run out of threads before the flare is seated.

Since the Series II Land Rover used the proper fitting for my TR3, I purchased
new fittings from Rovers North.

Take care

TeriAnn

TeriAnn Wakeman             One of these days, I'll be old enough that
twakeman@apple.com          people will stop calling me crazy and start
LINK: TWAKEMAN              calling me eccentric.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561