Re: Hammertone Paint

To: sfisher@megatest.com
Subject: Re: Hammertone Paint
From: John Wroclawski <jtw@lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 1994 17:53:16 -0500
   From: Scott Fisher <sfisher@megatest.com>

   I'm pretty sure that Hammerite does make a crinkle-finish paint.
   If not, I discovered how to do crinkle-finish without the special
   paint, as part of my continuing study on How To Ruin Paint.

Hm. Regular Hammerite should not crinkle. It should be glass-smooth to
the touch, with the hammered appearance showing through. To get it to
do this you have to put the final coat on thick, so that there will be
enough binder to fully cover the little glass beads that give it its
strength. The instructions actually give the thickness in thousandths
of an inch ("hey joe-bob, lemme borrow -your- micrometer for a minute...")

You can -get- hammerite to crinkle, by waiting a little too long
before applying an additional coat. This is a Bad Sign. You can also
probably get it to crinkle by using the wrong primer (the manufacturer
claims it doesn't need any primer at all), but I haven't ever, um,
tested this.

   That stuff is supposed to be virtually indestructible -- rust
   proof, abrasion resistant, even dent resistant to some extent (hence
   the name).

I thought the name referred to the hammertone finish? The same company
makes Smoothrite, I believe. Never seen it in the US, though.

                                -john
John Wroclawski
jtw@lcs.mit.edu