Re: GT6 wheel studs

To: cak@parc.xerox.com (Chris Kent Kantarjiev)
Subject: Re: GT6 wheel studs
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 1994 12:20:32 -0600 (CST)
Chris Kent Kantarjiev>

> For those who are interested in upgrading their stock GT6 wheel studs,
> it's not necessary to go to a Chevy part. The TR6 studs will fit just
> fine, are 7/16 diameter instead of 3/8, and are available from the
> usual sources. It's a slight improvement to machine the head diameter
> down slightly to make a perfect fit, but not necessary if you don't
> have the time/resources.

Sure, if you want the wimpy little stuff.  :-)

I have the same hubs on my Europa.  I put in 1/2-inch grade 8 bolts.  This
is the same grade steel that Dorman boasts is used in their studs.  You
do have to take the hub apart though.  The stock 3/8" ones make the corner
to come out, but there is no way to get the big bolts in there without
splitting the hub from the brake disc.

Naturally, Shipwright's Disease struck, and I cleaned and painted all the
parts...

My BWA wheels fit fine, and their steel inserts match the angle of
standard lug nuts.